Saturday, October 24, 2009

More Autumn Beer Goodness




Just finished bottling a Smoked Java Porter and an American Amber so now the brew supply is looking much better....




For the Smoked Java I used my trusty mini-smoker flavored with some apple smoke and put the Munich malt in there for about a half hour.... I stirred it around a few times to look like I knew what I was doing but some of the grains on the bottom still got blown - perfect




For the Java I brewed up a strong french presser of Organic French roast and poured that in the boil pot at the last minute... judging from the green beer, this combo is a keeper even if it is a bit Frenchy.





The other day I was feeling a bit homesick for Salvaggio's goodness, so I made the best imitation possible - The "Tokyo Cheesesteak Sammy" accompanied with an IPA that looks like even heaven approves of.... yummy. For the IPA, just keep on putting in hops and then some more hops until you think you are sure it's gonna be hoppy enough to get to India. Don't overcarbonate so that all those hops can reach out and smack you in the nose hole. Here in Japan they like to serve all beer with bunches of foam - I'm told it's because they like fluffy foam here... I think it's cuz they don't know what they's doin'


I leave you with a few more images of brewday....





The grain mill - Monster Mill 3 roller is fantastic - the hopper is a plant pot... someday I'll build a nicer one, but it works....






First I mash in a big laundry bag inside the strainer basket in the main pot then lift out the strainer... it nests in the smaller pot, then sparge the grains with about 10 - 12 liters of hot water.... it works pretty smooth. "Flying Sparge" sounds way cooler than this explanation and makes good brew.







And the lama says to me "Brewbalewba bla brewbaluh" so I got that going for me which is nice

No comments: